Why Used Vehicle Warranties Are Important
Most new cars come with a manufacturer’s warranty. While not all manufacturers offer an equal value, warranties still relieve the stress of owning or leasing a vehicle. But can the same be said for used cars? Yes, used vehicle warranties do exist and should be sought after. Just like new car warranties, however, you must do your research before settling.
Always determine the type of used vehicle warranty offered by the dealer. Ideally, you want to obtain one that is certified, or otherwise supported by the original manufacturer. Anything else may be suspect, so always inquire about a warranty’s origin and coverage. To help in this respect, consider the following areas of research when asking about the plans and packages available to you.
- Deductibles: How much will the warranty require you to pay before coverage begins?
- Transferability: If you decide to resell the vehicle before the warranty expires, will the transaction void the vehicle’s protection?
- Duration: Look at the timeframe of the warranty and mark down the date that it expires. Some warranties breakdown coverage into parts and labour, both of which may remain valid for different lengths of time. Depending on the manufacturer and dealership, warranties may last a few years.
- Documentation: If and when you use your warranty, which records must you provide to claim a repair?
- Inclusions/Exclusions: Although some used vehicle warranties are comprehensive, others may stipulate specific auto parts not covered by the manufacturer. This helps gauge what may or may not come out of your pocket should the need for repairs arise.
Understanding a warranty’s fine-print helps you decide whether or not you should ask for an extension. As well, if the warranty is not comprehensive, you may need to compound the coverage with other packages. This all comes down to conducting thorough research and knowing your retailer.
At Trillium Auto Group, we only offer vehicles with certified warranties. This means that you not only drive away worry-free, but can continue to do so long after you leave the car park. Similarly, through our various financing plans, your credit stands to improve month-after-month. So whether you’re on the market for automotive or credit repair, Trillium Auto Group rises to the occasion.